Re: My Tuba+Piano engravings: during midi playback, the Piano dominates

From: Vaughan McAlley
Subject: Re: My Tuba+Piano engravings: during midi playback, the Piano dominates the Tuba; why?
Date: Mon, 28 Feb 2022 12:06:05 +1100

On Mon, 28 Feb 2022 at 04:48, Kenneth Wolcott <kennethwolcott@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi;

  My Tuba+Piano engravings: during midi playback, the Piano dominates
the Tuba; why?

  I know that this is really a midi versus live performance question...

  I can change the dynamics of the Tuba to be "fff" and both the left
hand and right hand of the Piano to be "ppp", and yet the Piano
dominates the Tuba during midi playback.

  I'm not expecting a midi playback to sound as good as a live
performance, but this seems...odd.

  Is there anything I can do with Lilypond to generate a midi playback
of Tuba+Piano pieces that sound more realistic?

Thanks,
Ken Wolcott

Are you doing a fast render in Fluidsynth? I had problems like that last week with a choral work. All the voices were set to clarinet at the same volume, but a couple were only just audible. I had to “record” a live MIDI performance.

This page may have something to do with that issue, if this is the issue...

https://github.com/FluidSynth/fluidsynth/issues/219

Vaughan