Re: trillspan

From: Valentin Petzel
Subject: Re: trillspan
Date: Wed, 16 Mar 2022 19:58:22 +0100

Hello Erik,

\startTrillSpan is a post event, so you need to specify it after the note you
want the trill to start on. You can use empty chords <> to circumvent this and
kind of specify the span before the first note.

You still won’t get any change, as trill spans are by default outside-staff
grobs, so Lilypond will only position them over or under a staff, but never
within (unless we try hard by using extra-offset or hacks).

Thus if you want to have the spanner insider of the staff you need to tell
Lilypond not to handle it as outside staff object, which can be done by setting
the outside-staff-priority to '() or #f.

Finally the Y-offset will be measured from the center of the staff. This means
it might useful to use the offset command instead of directly going by
Y-offset.
Or maybe not.

See here your amended example:

{
  \once \override TrillSpanner.outside-staff-priority = #'()
  \once \offset Y-offset #-2 TrillSpanner <>\startTrillSpan a4*5
\stopTrillSpan }

Cheers,
Valentin