Re: can someone point me to complete documentation for the partial comma

From: Wols Lists
Subject: Re: can someone point me to complete documentation for the partial command argument syntax?
Date: Sun, 20 Mar 2022 14:58:36 +0000

On 19/03/2022 20:01, David Kastrup wrote:
Sam Roberts <vieuxtech@gmail.com> writes:

I tried so hard to be accurate, but I missed something:

On Sat, Mar 19, 2022 at 12:38 PM Sam Roberts <vieuxtech@gmail.com> wrote:
After experimentation, I found this worked:

\time 3/4 \partial 1 c4 |

It "works" in that pdf output looks ok, c4 is in the pickup bar, but
still warns about the bar checks, as it should.

Please don't just dump partial code that does not compile: this makes it
impossible to accurately see what you are doing.

David, you're expecting too much! By his own admission he's a newbie.

And in this particular instance it is quite clear that
(a) he does not understand what the problem IS,
and
(b) if he did understand, he wouldn't have a problem!

So, in this particular instance you are asking him to go away and solve his problem by himself. NOT good.

You probably are using \partial wrong: its argument does not specify how
long it is _since_ a full bar but how long it is _to_ a full bar.

As such, you'd usually see

    ... \time 3/4 \partial 4 c4 | ...

in typical contexts.

And the REAL problem is that he quite clearly does not understand the documentation (or can't find it). A problem that happens quite regularly.

A case in point - I remember having a HELL of a lot of grief with \partial, before I finally got it ...

When someone (especially newbie) presents with a problem, always look behind what they're asking for, for what they really need. Here, it's documentation they can understand.

Cheers,
Wol