sustain pedal display ugliness, how to fix?

From: Kenneth Wolcott
Subject: sustain pedal display ugliness, how to fix?
Date: Thu, 31 Mar 2022 17:31:16 -0700

Hi;

  I'm engraving from an existing Piano arrangement of the "Ave Maria"
composed by Schubert.

  The typesetter uses the traditional sustain pedal style.

  The <c, c>2 chord is repeated with sustain on and off.

  The ugliness in my engraving is two-fold:

  First, the sustainOff end ('*') the following SustainOn are jammed together.

  The second problem I can easily fix by making certain that there is
a sustainOff prior to the forced line break. (No, I don't get that
either)

  Since this is repeated for the entire piece, I'd really like to
place this in a variable.

  Just not sure how to do that.

  How is it that what is shown in the Notation Reference looks just
fine and it looks ugly when I try it?

Thanks,
Ken Wolcott

  <c, c>2\sustainOn q\sustainOff\sustainOn             | % m1
  <c, c>2\sustainOff\sustainOn q\sustainOff\sustainOn  | % m2
\break
  <c, c>2\sustainOff\sustainOn q\sustainOff\sustainOn  | % m3
  <c, c>2\sustainOff\sustainOn q\sustainOff\sustainOn  | % m4
\break