Re: Reducing length of stems of beamed notes after \stopStaff

From: Richard Shann
Subject: Re: Reducing length of stems of beamed notes after \stopStaff
Date: Tue, 19 Apr 2022 10:09:50 +0100

On Mon, 2022-04-18 at 11:34 +0200, Thomas Morley wrote:
> Am Sa., 16. Apr. 2022 um 13:49 Uhr schrieb Nate Whetsell
> <nathan.whetsell@gmail.com>:
> >
> > I’m trying to put some beamed notes (no staff lines, time
> > signature, or anything else) in a \markup block. To do this, I’m
> > using a Staff with several engravers \remove’d, using \stopStaff to
> > eliminate staff lines, and then setting Stem.details.beamed-lengths
> > to reduce the length of stems. However, setting
> > Stem.details.beamed-lengths seems to have no effect after
> > \stopStaff, so the stems are too tall. Is there some other way to
> > get short beamed notes in a \markup block?
> >
> > Here is an example showing what I’ve tried:
> >
> > \markup { \justify {
> >   Lorem ipsum pqpqpq dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit,
> > sed do eiusmod
> >   tempor incididunt ut labore et dolore.
> >   \score {
> >     % Normal Staff with \stopStaff (stems too tall)
> >     \new Staff \with {
> >       \remove "Bar_engraver"
> >       \remove "Clef_engraver"
> >       \remove "Time_signature_engraver"
> >       \magnifyStaff #(magstep -3)
> >     } {
> >       \stopStaff
> >       \override Stem.details.beamed-lengths = #'(3)
> >       \relative { \time 6/8 \stemUp b'8 8 8 }
> >     }
> >     \layout { ragged-right=##t indent=0 }
> >   }
> >   \score {
> >     % RhythmicStaff with \stopStaff (stems too tall)
> >     \new RhythmicStaff \with {
> >       \remove "Bar_engraver"
> >       \remove "Clef_engraver"
> >       \remove "Time_signature_engraver"
> >       \magnifyStaff #(magstep -3)
> >     } {
> >       \stopStaff
> >       \override Stem.details.beamed-lengths = #'(3)
> >       \relative { \time 6/8 \stemUp b'8 8 8 }
> >     }
> >     \layout { ragged-right=##t indent=0 }
> >   }
> >   \score {
> >     % Normal Staff *without* \stopStaff (stems shorter, but staff
> > lines shown)
> >     \new Staff \with {
> >       \remove "Bar_engraver"
> >       \remove "Clef_engraver"
> >       \remove "Time_signature_engraver"
> >       \magnifyStaff #(magstep -3)
> >     } {
> >       \override Stem.details.beamed-lengths = #'(3)
> >       \relative { \time 6/8 \stemUp b'8 8 8 }
> >     }
> >     \layout { ragged-right=##t indent=0 }
> >   }
> > } }
>
> \stopStaff is not the right tool for your purpose.
> Why not adding
> \override StaffSymbol.line-count = 0
> to the Staff's \with
> ?

This seems to work well - here is a somewhat tidied up example:

\version "2.22.0"
\markup { \justify {
                   Here are three quavers
               \raise #0.4    \score {
                           \new Staff \with {
                                             \remove "Bar_engraver"
                                             \remove "Clef_engraver"
                                             \remove "Time_signature_engraver"
                                             \magnifyStaff #(magstep -3)
                                             \override StaffSymbol.line-count = 0
                                             \override
Stem.details.beamed-lengths = #'(3)
                                            }
                                      { \stemUp b'8[ 8 8] }

                           \layout { ragged-right=##t indent=0 }
                         }
                 , nicely spaced and beamed!

I used the \raise to place note bottoms of the note heads on the text
line, but I haven't looked at how it behaves as you change the overall
score size; it would be good to turn off the autobeamer as well to give
complete control over the beaming...

Richard