Re: Hairpin confusion

From: Jean Abou Samra
Subject: Re: Hairpin confusion
Date: Wed, 11 May 2022 09:06:29 +0200

Le 11/05/2022 à 08:54, Mark Probert a écrit :
You wrote:
    r2 r4 f8 a\<~ | a1\! |
   \override Hairpin.to-barline = ##f
Thank you, Jean. I missed that in the snippets.

My expectation, given that I have extended the note, is that the
hairpin would last the duration of that extended note by default,
rather than stopping at an intervening barline. Is there a reason for
the current setting to be, what I would consider in simplistic
thoughts, the wrong way around?

Doing this is standard practice, cf. Gould (Behind
Bars p. 105):

"A hairpin may cut through a barline, but should not
start nor finish on a barline. It is neatest if a hairpin
that terminates at the beginning of a bar stops short of
the barline, since the space between the barline and
the subsequent first beat has no time value (bars 1-3).
However, it is helpful to extend a hairpin to a first beat
that is some distance after a barline, to show continuity
(bars 4-6)."

The accompanying example is

\version "2.22.2"

\paper {
  ragged-right = ##f
}

<<
  \new Staff \relative {
    \time 2/4
    a'4\< e'
    e,\f\> c
    g'2\p
    f4\tweak to-barline ##f \< bes
    \time 3/4
    <gis b>2\f\tweak to-barline ##f \> c,4
    \time 2/4
    ees2\p
  }
  \new Staff {
    R2*4 R2. R2
  }

LilyPond does exactly what she does on bars 1-3, although it
does not detect the special situation in bars 4-6.

Best,
Jean