Dot positions in chord with overlapping voices

From: Owen Lamb
Subject: Dot positions in chord with overlapping voices
Date: Thu, 12 May 2022 15:29:04 -0700

Hi all,

I'm engraving the following:

<<
  {
    \time 12/8
    g'4. ~ 8 f' e'
  }
  \\
  <c' a'>2.

In order to keep the top dot and tie from colliding, I'd like the dots associated with the second voice to be placed on the left of the dotted quarter notehead. How can this be done?

N.B. My goal is also Gould's preferred way of engraving such chords; see p. 58: Overlapping Chords. By default, LilyPond outputs her example chords as she would have them "in cramped conditions":

<<
  {
    \cadenzaOn
    <f' a'>2. <e' g'>