Re: top-level markup in Scheme

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: top-level markup in Scheme
Date: Fri, 13 May 2022 09:31:50 +0000 (UTC)

>> What is the Scheme equivalent to a top-level markup like
>>
>> ```
>> \markup \italic "foo"
>> ```
>>
>> ?  I can't find it in the documentation.
>
> I am not a fan of the markup macro, but of course
>
> (make-italic-markup "foo")
>
> will also work.

Thanks.

> It is not clear what you mean with "top-level" however.  Of course
> at the top level of a LilyPond document, markup gets interpreted by
> calling an appropriate hook.

Well, a LilyPond input file containing only

```
\markup \italic "foo"
```

prints something.  In the NR this usage of `\markup` is called a
'top-level expression'.  How do you call this?

On the other hand, a LilyPond input file containing only

```
#(make-italic-markup "foo")
```

prints nothing.  I now wonder how I can modify the latter to make it
actually work – what is the 'appropriate hook'?

    Werner