Re: printing "a 2" at the beginning of staves automatically

From: Kieren MacMillan
Subject: Re: printing "a 2" at the beginning of staves automatically
Date: Sat, 21 May 2022 11:45:39 -0400

Hi Valentin,

This is a really nice bit of "progress not perfection" code. Thank you!

In my scores — especially opera and musical theatre — there’s a very clear set
of rules which determines whether the “instrument name” (often the character
who’s singing) appears at the beginning of a system, whether it is
parenthesized or not, etc. Unfortunately, I always have to make these
adjustments manually (injected via the edition-engraver). I’m hoping your code
will at least eliminate that [sometimes tedious and time-consuming] part of my
workflow.

The optimal solution (IMO) would be to improve the whole instrument definition,
switching, and [staff-]labelling framework such that \addInstrumentDefinition
and \instrumentSwitch would change the appropriate texts so that the
engraver(s) could present the information automagically according to some
parameter-driven algorithm. I hope one day we can make that happen.

Best,
Kieren.