Re: Uninstall / reinstall LilyPond 2.23.9 (and, by the way, Frescobaldi)

From: Knute Snortum
Subject: Re: Uninstall / reinstall LilyPond 2.23.9 (and, by the way, Frescobaldi)
Date: Mon, 23 May 2022 18:09:49 -0700

On Mon, May 23, 2022 at 2:44 PM Ralph Palmer <palmer.r.violin@gmail.com> wrote:

> Greetings -
>
> I'm still having trouble. My laptop was worked on recently, and the
> technician renamed my root account from rpalmer to ralph. All my data and
> programs were also gone. I did not realize the implications of the root name
> change, so I did a full restore from my last backup. The restore was sort of
> successful. All the data came back, but Frescobaldi and LilyPond both are
> having difficulties. I've tried uninstalling LilyPond, and when I run <where
> lilypond> from terminal, it says the command cannot be found. When I run
> <uninstall-lilypond> from terminal, it names the /home/rpalmer/bin/ folders
> and items, but says in each case there is no such file or directory. My /home
> directory is now /home/ralph. I still have a folder /home/ralph/lilypond,
> with 6 items, and <lilypond-2.23.6-1.linux-64.sh> in my home directory.
>
> I don't know how to stop terminal from looking for lilypond in
> /home/rpalmer/bin.
>
> Would simply deleting the lilypond folder and its contents allow me to
> reinstall LilyPond 2.23.9?
>
> Along these same lines, where might I find the appropriate PATH designations?
>
> I appreciate any help you can give me.

"...when I run <where lilypond> from terminal, it says the command
cannot be found."

Well, that's probably because on a Unix-like system, the command is
"which".  I'd add the -a flag for "all":

which -a lilypond

"I still have a folder /home/ralph/lilypond, with 6 items,..."

 Is one of them bin?  You can check your PATH for lilypond by echoing it:

echo $PATH

On your system, it looks like it would be /home/ralph/lilypond/bin/
that you'd want in your PATH.

"I run <uninstall-lilypond> from terminal..."

I don't know what the "uninstall-lilypond" command is, but I think
that in Unix-like systems, you just remove the directory.  You may
want to rename the directory instead, just in case.

--
Knute Snortum