Re: note head direction not automatically rearranged for two adjacent pi

From: Jean Abou Samra
Subject: Re: note head direction not automatically rearranged for two adjacent pitches when two voices are used instead of a chord
Date: Tue, 24 May 2022 14:46:19 +0200

Le 24/05/2022 à 14:43, Jean Abou Samra a écrit :
Le 24/05/2022 à 13:36, Soo Lee a écrit :
I isolated these notes to create a tiny example, but the context suggests that it makes more sense to view them as two voices. This is a Chopin piece and unlike e.g. Bach, two voices often are expressed like a chord. I wanted to avoid going back and forth between one voice and two voices too often. I guess it is possible to just use a chord in this case. I'll try to think about other work-arounds. However, I think an ideal behavior would still be to automatically rearrange the note head direction in a case like this.

I don't think this syntax is the right tool for your
purpose. With \new Voice, you're telling LilyPond that
you want separate voices. With \voiceOne and \voiceTwo,
you specify stem directions for both voices. Then, with
\stemUp, you kind of contradict what you just said. It's
tricky for LilyPond to interpret this input. Rather, I
suspect you want to use the part combining feature in
order to merge notes in one single stem when the rhythm
is the same.

https://lilypond.org/doc/v2.22/Documentation/notation/multiple-voices.html#automatic-part-combining

Jean

To expand: consider

\version "2.22.2"

\new Staff <<
  \new Voice { \voiceOne g''8 8 8 8 }
  \new Voice { \voiceTwo \once \stemUp a,8 a'8 \once \stemUp a,8 a'8 }

If the \stemUp made the stems merge, this use case would no longer work.

Jean