Combining part-files into full scores

From: Paul McKay
Subject: Combining part-files into full scores
Date: Thu, 26 May 2022 16:27:30 +0100

Hi Ponders

Hi

I’m feel sure this question must have been addressed before, but I can’t find any hints in the documentation which don’t involve editing lots of files.

I’m inputting Scottish dance music for the accordion. It has my own preferences about chord naming and positioning and also fingering on the notes themselves. Each one has a shape like this:

\include “Dance.ily”

%{ titles etc }%

tuneSetup = { \key g \major   \time 2/2 \partial 4 }

tuneChords = \chordmode {  s4 g1 }

pianoChords = \chordmode {  s4 g2 e:m7 }

tuneMelody = { a b c d }

mainScore = score = {

    <<

        \new ChordNames { \tuneSetup \transpose c' c {\tuneChords } }

        \new Staff \with { midiInstrument = "Accordion" } \tuneMelody

                \layout { indent = 0 }

}

\mainScore

When I am working on a piece, this is fine. It produces an independent copy of the tune.

But I would like to combine these pieces in groups and to be able to use the individual elements without having to edit all the individual tune files. I have tried this:

\set Score.skipTypesetting = ##t

\include “Tune 1.ly

% etc

\set Score.skipTypesetting = ##f

\mainScore

But, of course, I can’t \set Score.skipTypesetting at the top level. Tags also only operate on musical expressions rather than scores.

I think this is exactly equivalent to writing a set of orchestral parts where the individual instruments need editions which include cues but the full score only needs the instrumental notes.

I have looked in https://lilypond.org/doc/v2.22/Documentation/notation/different-editions-from-one-source#using-global-settings

But this only points me to editing each individual file – and it would make more sense to copy and paste them into big file. I have been brought up to prefer \include’s over multiple possibly identical copies. Just need to know how to ask LilyPond to do it.

Thanks in advance

Paul McKay