Re: bookTitleMarkup and tocItem cause empty page

From: Jean Abou Samra
Subject: Re: bookTitleMarkup and tocItem cause empty page
Date: Wed, 1 Jun 2022 22:41:13 +0200

Le 01/06/2022 à 21:12, Simon Albrecht a écrit :
Hi Jean,

On 01/06/2022 15:24, Jean Abou Samra wrote:

Please give an example.

I’ve gone debugging, and it’s a weird combination of two things that causes the empty page:

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%
\version "2.23.9"

\paper {
  bookTitleMarkup = \markup {
    \vspace #.3

\bookpart { \markup { 1 } }

\tocItem \markup "toc2"
\bookpart { \markup { 2 } }
%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

I don’t understand… in my real-world book, the empty pages were empty, now in this tiny example the second bookpart appears to get duplicated, and this only because the bookTitleMarkup contains _anything_ other than empty \fromproperty calls. Even \markup\null as bookTitleMarkup has the bug (?) occurring.

OK, opened https://gitlab.com/lilypond/lilypond/-/issues/6358
about that. The thing is, \tocItem works by inserting a label
at the point it is being used. Since the label is a standalone
object between two bookparts, it is being made a bookpart
of its own! Without a title, that bookpart has no pages, but
if you have a title, it becomes visible ...

As said on the ticket, you need to move \tocItem inside
the second bookpart, like this:

\version "2.23.9"

\paper {
  bookTitleMarkup = \markup {