Re: make \breath (kind-of) ignore clef change

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: make \breath (kind-of) ignore clef change
Date: Thu, 02 Jun 2022 15:46:37 +0200

Kieren MacMillan <kieren@kierenmacmillan.info> writes:

> Hi Jean,
>
>> I'm not sure if the NR is the best place for explaining
>> \propertyTweak.
>
> I didn’t know of this until David K helped me build my \ignore functions, e.g.
>
>  ignoreH =
>    \propertyTweak horizontal-skylines ##f
>    \propertyTweak extra-spacing-width #empty-interval
>    \etc
>
>> Its usefulness is basically to be a helper
>> for defining "dual" commands like \shape, \footnote, \omit,
>> or (in 2.23) \parenthesize.
>
> Can I ask why one wouldn’t just always use this? e.g. What would be
> the benefit of choosing to define a “vanilla” \tweak, when
> \propertyTweak would also work in the other situation(s)?

Try

\new Lyrics \lyricmode {
  \tweak color #red love
  \propertyTweak color #blue wonderful
}

And you'll get the error message

/tmp/ba.ly:4:1: error: bad grob property path (wonderful color)

}

In general, tweaks that have some chance to be applied to lyrics may
become awkward with \propertyTweak .

--
David Kastrup