Re: Key and tie questions

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Key and tie questions
Date: Fri, 03 Jun 2022 19:04:47 +0200

Andrew Musselman <andrew.musselman@gmail.com> writes:

> Hi all, I'm not seeing a key signature show up when I do this:
>
> ```\version "2.22.2"
> \relative
> \key d \major
> {
>     <<
>     {
>         a'8 g'8 \tuplet 3/1 {f' c' b} c'8 c'2
>     }
>     >>
> }```

This consists of _two_ scores.  The first score is
```
\relative
\key d \major
```
and LilyPond decides that without any music in it, it is not worth
typesetting.  It does warn you about it:

/tmp/baba.ly:2:1: warning: skipping zero-duration score

\relative
/tmp/baba.ly:2:1: warning: to suppress this, consider adding a spacer rest

\relative

Now the second score is what follows within braces.

> and when I try to put a tie between the triplet and the next note and put a
> tilde after the `b` in the triplet I get this error:
>
> Interpreting music...
> the-mountain.ly:7:45: warning: unterminated tie
> a'8 g'8 \tuplet 3/1 {f' c' b
>                                             ~} c'8 c'2
>
> Any clues how to fix these?

You should take a look at the learning manual to understand the
difference between ties (which create longer-duration note values from
several noteheads at the same pitch) and slurs (which indicate a smooth
connection of notes of typically different pitch).

--
David Kastrup