Re: how to hide dynamics? Only solution is to have a dedicated midi musi

From: peter
Subject: Re: how to hide dynamics? Only solution is to have a dedicated midi music variable?
Date: Tue, 07 Jun 2022 16:14:46 +1000

>>>>> "Kenneth" == Kenneth Wolcott <kennethwolcott@gmail.com> writes:

Kenneth>   Frequently I have engraved music that doesn't sound good
Kenneth> when the corresponding midi is played, usually with regards
Kenneth> to two (or more) instruments that are overwhelmed by one of
Kenneth> them.

There are ways to set the dynamic range for each instrument.  See
https://lilypond.org/doc/v2.22/Documentation/internals/dynamic_005fperformer

Kenneth>   In this case, I have a piece which has a Contrabass with
Kenneth> Piano accompaniment, with two different kinds of unwanted
Kenneth> domination.  In the first case I have to specify the dynamics
Kenneth> for the right hand and the left hand separately (a human
Kenneth> pianist would not need this).

IF you want dynamics to apply to the entire GrandStaff, create a
separate Dynamics context with just the dynamics and spacing events in
it.  Otherwise, dynamics are per-voice.

Peter C