Re: UTF-8 characters in filenames with Lilypond 2.23

From: Jonas Hahnfeld
Subject: Re: UTF-8 characters in filenames with Lilypond 2.23
Date: Tue, 14 Jun 2022 20:18:09 +0200

On Wed, 2022-05-25 at 13:24 -0600, David F. wrote:

> > On May 25, 2022, at 11:21 AM, Jonas Hahnfeld <hahnjo@hahnjo.de> wrote:
> >
> > On Sat, 2022-05-21 at 15:20 -0600, David F. wrote:
> > > System: Intel-based macOS
> > >
> > > I make extensive use of UTF-8 characters in the filenames of my Lilypond
> > > files.  This works in Lilypond up through version 2.22.  But Lilypond
> > > 2.23 cannot handle UTF-8 characters in filenames.
> > >
> > > Filename: tést.ly
> > > ====
> > > \version "2.22"
> > >
> > > { c' }
> > > ====
> > >
> > > Under v2.22, this file complies without problem.  With 2.23 (including
> > > the just release 2.23.9) I get the following error:
> > >
> > > Starting lilypond 2.23.9 [tést.ly]...
> > > warning: cannot find file: `/Users/david/Projects/Lily Scratch/te??st.ly'
> > > fatal error: failed files: "/Users/david/Projects/Lily Scratch/te??st.ly"
> > > Exited with return code 1.
> > >
> > > I thought that this problem had already been reported, but I can’t find
> > > any mention of it now.  So I’m reporting it.
> > >
> > > David F.
> >
> > Hi David,
> >
> > I can indeed reproduce this on macOS, which I think is the critical
> > piece of information here. It would just be too boring if all operating
> > systems agreed on how to handle filenames with special characters... In
> > this case, it might also have to do with the file system because if I
> > do 'ls', I also get question marks (but this might also be because I'm
> > ssh-ing from Linux...)

No, it didn't have to do with the file system, the scripts for building
the binaries were just missing an environment variables so that libintl
was properly found on macOS, which is apparently required for some
locale settings. The problem should be fixed in the next release, see
https://gitlab.com/lilypond/lilypond/-/merge_requests/1410
(Actually, this will also fix localized messages on macOS which didn't
work so far.)

> Thanks for looking into this Jonas.  As I said in my original message
> Lilypond up to v2.22 handles UTF characters just fine.

LilyPond 2.22.x used Guile 1.8 with binaries produced by a different
system (called GUB).

Jonas