Re: How do I keep space between staves reasonable?

From: mas2
Subject: Re: How do I keep space between staves reasonable?
Date: Sat, 25 Jun 2022 09:55:00 -0400

It sounds like Kieren's suggestion would work best. If you have more music or markup before or after, just put that page into its own bookpart.

Get BlueMail for Android
On Jun 24, 2022, at 10:50 PM, Kevin Cole <dc.loco@gmail.com> wrote:
I'm sorry I don't know how to create a minimal working example.

I have a rather simple melody with a single staff (vocal). Under the
staff I have two stanzas of lyrics (the first verse and the chorus).
After the score, I have a \markup section with additional verses.

When I have just the first verse, everything looks fine. When I add
the chorus, the spaces where I have \break become ridiculously large,
as LilyPond tries to anticipate my needs, and forces the \markup
section to a new page and vertically justifies / fills the page.

On the surface, what I want to do seems deceptively simple.

I've experimented with annotate-spacing and system-system-spacing to
no avail. The truth is I don't really understand what I'm looking at
with all the various distances. (In the annotated PDF, it looks like I
want to shrink "extra dist (system-system-spacing)".)

If I tightened the space between the \break's I think everything would
remain on one page.

Or, if I can't do that, and it has to force the \markup additional
verses to a new page, it still seems weird to have so much whitespace
between \break's. I think it would look better with all the whitespace
at the end of the score...