Re: warning: adding note head to incompatible stem (type = 1/1)

From: Valentin Petzel
Subject: Re: warning: adding note head to incompatible stem (type = 1/1)
Date: Fri, 01 Jul 2022 11:41:23 +0200

Hi Ken, Hi Paul,

The root of the problem is your use of << ... \\ ... >>. Basically << ... >>
marks that the contained music should be placed simulataneously instead of
consecutively (which would be the purpose of { ... }). But this will not put
the music in different voices. To do so one has to explicitely say << \new
Voice ... \new Voice ... >>. Since this is quite a bit to write we have the <<
... \\ ... \\ ... ... >> syntax, which automatically creates voices an orders
them like voice 1 (top), voice 2 (bottom), voice 3 (second from top), ...

Note we can also use the \voices function to specify the order of these
voices!

So here is where the problem lies:
You do have a staff with two voices lh_one as Voice 1 and lh_two as Voice 2.
But then Voice 2 has this part

<< { fs,1( | f,2) e, | }
\\ { s8\sustainOn s2. s8\sustainOff | s8\sustainOn s2. s8\sustainOff | }

which again creates two Voices, the top of which will be Voice 1 and thus
clash with the actual Voice 1.

Note that in your case you do not actually want new Voices, because the second
line simply specifies pedal markings and no notes, so it suffices to specify

<<
{ fs,1( | f,2) e, | }
{ s8\sustainOn s2. s8\sustainOff | s8\sustainOn s2. s8\sustainOff | }

instead, which would place both lines simultaneously without leaving the
previous Voice.

But in case you actually need two Voices you’d want the Voice to split into
Voice 4 and Voice 2, not Voice 1 and Voice 2, so you’d need to do

\voices 4,2 << ... \\  ... >>

Cheers,
Valentin