Re: Double ossia with tabulature issue

From: Jean Abou Samra
Subject: Re: Double ossia with tabulature issue
Date: Fri, 8 Jul 2022 05:27:04 +0200

On 7/8/22 02:23, Neo Anderson wrote:
Hi!

I've been trying to add an ossia to an existing guitar part with the tabulature. However, I run into this issue that the ossia gets doubled as long as the tab part is uncommented. As soon as I don't use the tab staff, everything is fine.

I guess it's all because of my /score block, but I can't figure it out.

The ossia itself doesn't have to have its own tab, but if, as an extra, someone could make it happen, I would be happy, too.

MWEs:
a) Minimal reproducible example included as an attachement
b) https://www.hacklily.org/?edit=Aelfstone/sheet-music/ossia_issue_mwe.ly
c) The code itself

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%
\version "2.23.10"

gtrOne = {
  d'1~ d'1
  \break
  <<
    { f'1 }
    \new Staff
    \with { alignAboveContext = "gtrOne" }
    { c''1 }

  g'1
}

\score {
  <<
    \new Staff = "gtrOne" \with { }
    { \gtrOne }
    \new TabStaff
    { \gtrOne }

  \layout {
    \context { }

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

Well, LilyPond is doing exactly what you've asked it. Since
there is \new Staff both in the normal staff and in the tablature,
you get two new staves. You need to do \new Staff in the staff,
and \new TabStaff in the tablature. Furthermore, you need to adjust
alignAboveContext. To do that without repeating the music, you
can use tags.

\version "2.23.10"

ossia = { c''1 }

gtrOne = {
  d'1~ d'1
  \break

  <<
    { f'1 }
    \tag staff \new Staff = ossia \with { alignAboveContext = gtrOne } \ossia
    \tag ossia \new TabStaff \with { alignAboveContext = ossia } \ossia

  g'1
}

\score {
  <<
    \new Staff = "gtrOne" \keepWithTag staff \gtrOne
    \new TabStaff \keepWithTag ossia \gtrOne

}

See https://lilypond.org/doc/v2.23/Documentation/notation/different-editions-from-one-source#using-tags

Note that I've also removed your useless (empty) \layout block.

Best,
Jean