color change working in only upper staff

From: Jim Cline
Subject: color change working in only upper staff
Date: Mon, 18 Jul 2022 08:46:55 -0400 (EDT)

I want to change the fingering color to red in my piano score.
Using

upper = \relative c'' {
   \override Fingering.color = #red

for the upper staff works, but adding the same for the lower staff

lower = \relative c {
  \override Fingering.color = #red

leaves the fingering in black in the lower staff. The compiler gives no error message about it. I tried commenting out the first override to see if that has some effect on the second one, but no.