Positioning lyrics properly with beaming?

From: Kevin Cole
Subject: Positioning lyrics properly with beaming?
Date: Thu, 21 Jul 2022 13:37:07 -0400

Hi,

I'm transcribing a score from a printed copy and the score has a lot
of beamed 8th, dotted 8th, and 16th notes in it.  But the lyrics
resist being lined up regardless of how I use a single underscore
without spaces, with spaces, double dashes, etc.
I looked at
https://lilypond.org/doc/v2.22/Documentation/learning/aligning-lyrics-to-a-melody
but I'm still missing something.

A small example below.  The "Ohhh" should extend over the dotted half
note and the 8th note that follows, and "The" should appear under the
16th note. It behaves correctly if I remove the beaming, but, as
mentioned above, there's a lot of it and I'm trying (once again) to
stay true to the stuff I'm transcribing. (Actually, the original score
has "Ohhh - hhh, The" with the Ohhh" under the dotted half note and
the "hhh" under the dotted 8th note, which, I guess would be even
better -- and truer to the source material.)

%%%%%%%%%%%
\version "2.22.1"
\language "english"

global = {
  \time 4/4
  \key c \major
}

melody = \relative c' {
  \global
  <g~ c~>2. <g c>8.[ e'16]                | %  1
}

words = \lyricmode {
  Ohhh, The                               | %  1
}

\score {
  <<
    \new Voice = "mel" { \melody }