Markup command trouble

From: Simon Albrecht
Subject: Markup command trouble
Date: Mon, 25 Jul 2022 15:46:34 +0200

Dear list,

I wanted to define a markup command for easy switchable styling of text and ran into an issue which seems hard to understand:

\version "2.23.9"

spanish = \markup\italic \etc

\markup \column {
  \spanish \justify { test }
}

=> “error: not a markup”

My understanding would have been that \justify returns a list of markups and the \spanish command, as if I had just used \italic directly, should act on all elements of that list. What did I get wrong? Is it just me or should that be made more predictable, if possible?

Best, Simon