Re: slurs across voices

From: Knute Snortum
Subject: Re: slurs across voices
Date: Wed, 27 Jul 2022 09:05:43 -0700

On Wed, Jul 27, 2022 at 8:29 AM Jim Cline <jcline@physics.mcgill.ca> wrote:

> I would like to create slurs between alternating notes across two voices
> in this example:
>
> \version "2.20.0"
> lower =
>    \relative c {
>     \time 3/4
>    \clef bass
>    <<{\stemUp e''16\rest cis4 bis ais8~ais16}\\{\clef treble\stemDown
> \slurDown e4 dis cis}>>|
> }
> \score {
>      \new Staff = "lower" \lower
>
> The documentation provides an example in
> http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.21/Documentation/snippets/expressive-marks
> ("creating slurs across voices") but it only works in the case where beats
> are missing in each voice.  In my case, each voice has the full number of
> beats to make a measure.  It seems like this issue was last discussed in
> 2015,
> https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/lilypond-devel/2015-03/msg00288.html
> unless I missed something.  Has this limitation been addressed since then?

Well, here's my take on it.  There may be a better way:

First, I made your example into a MWE (minimum working example).  Then
I used the trick of reducing the duration of a note but keeping the
duration that's engraved.  I used 4*1/4 for a note that looks like a
quarter note but only takes up the duration of a sixteenth.  That gave
me this:

%%%
\version "2.20.0"

\relative c {