Re: Different minimum-length for broken spanner

From: Jean Abou Samra
Subject: Re: Different minimum-length for broken spanner
Date: Thu, 4 Aug 2022 15:08:08 +0200

[Mark]
Ideally there could be a property `minimum-length-before-break` to match
`minimum-length-after-break` to address this? Or am I simply approaching this
problem from the wrong angle?

I don't think you're approaching it from the wrong angle.
You need to get the springs & rods problem to express the
constraints you want.

I don't have the bandwidth to look into this right now, but
a good place to start would be the implementation of
ly:spanner::set-spacing-rods in lily/spanner.cc.

[Kieren]
Does \alterBroken work? Or does it fail because minimum-length is one of the
"spanner properties accessed before line-breaking such as direction" [known
issue]?

Yeah, it is one of those. Line breaking makes use of
knowledge about the horizontal spacing (there are more
measures per line if they are short, for example), so
those spacing constraints have to be accessed before
line breaking.