Re: issues with installing Lilypond

From: tim
Subject: Re: issues with installing Lilypond
Date: Tue, 20 Sep 2022 09:26:20 -0400

On 19 Sep 2022 at 17:55, Cluanie Fraser wrote:

>     Hi Tim,
>     Thanks for responding. I´m really struggling as I´m quite out of depth
> with this tech stuff.
>     This is what shows up when I download the Lilypond file from the website
> and double
>     click to open it.

You've opened it in Notepad, which is for text files. What you have opened is
definitely NOT a
text file.

>     I tried downloading Denemo and that kind of worked but doesn´t let me
> edit the music in
>     the lilypond text file, I can only do it graphically which isn´t ideal.

I know next to nothing about Denomo, but I think it's a graphical music editor,
which would
work with files in its own format, and would know nothing about Lilypond (*.ly)
files.

I you have an existing *.ly file, open it in a text editor (or maybe better yet
Frescobaldi, which I
gave you a URL for). And read the Learning manual, which I also gave you the
URL for. The
*.ly file probably will make no sense to you until you read the Learning manual.

There is certainly a learning curve with Lilypond, but the results are worth it.

--
Tim Slattery
tim@risingdove.com