Re: LilyPond-2.22.2 does not work on Windows XP

From: J Martin Rushton
Subject: Re: LilyPond-2.22.2 does not work on Windows XP
Date: Fri, 14 Oct 2022 10:24:37 +0100

On Fri, 2022-10-14 at 01:51 -0700, Aaron Hill wrote:
> On 2022-10-14 12:18 am, J Martin Rushton wrote:
> > For some reason best known to Microsoft Windows held
> > systems down in 32-bit node for years after they were internally
> > 64-
> > bit.
>
> Microsoft did not "hold systems down".  In the era of XP, Windows
> came
> in a 64-bit version, colloquially known as XP64.  The main issue was
> that most consumers at that time only had access to 32-bit hardware,
> so
> it was not a priority to market 64-bit support.
>
> Over time, computer manufacturers have made 64-bit hardware the
> norm;
> but as anyone with IT experience knows: clients are rarely eager to
> spend money upgrading when things are not completely broken.  (And
> even
> then when the office is on fire, some are still stingy.)  So
> notwithstanding the average home user facing rising costs of new
> computers, Microsoft has many business, educational, and government
> customers that would all have to get aboard the 64-bit train.
>
> As I recall, Windows 10 was supposed to launch as 64-bit only; yet
> even
> it still has an installation option to run on 32-bit processors.  It
> is
> looking like Windows 11 will be the first release to draw the line
> in
> the sand and cut off old hardware.
>

> -- Aaron Hill
Perhaps then trying to source XP64 would be a solution for the OP?

Maybe it was the supply chain that shipped 32-bit XP on 64-bit machines
or maybe MS didn't want to push it for some reason?  The fact remains
that in the XP era there were plenty of 64-bit machines hamstrung by a
32-bit OS.
--
J Martin Rushton MBCS