Re: \chordMode question

From: Tim's Bitstream
Subject: Re: \chordMode question
Date: Thu, 20 Oct 2022 07:51:25 -0500

> On Oct 20, 2022, at 6:14 AM, Jacques Menu <imj-219@bluewin.ch> wrote:
> Hello folks,
>
> Strangely enough, the first three chords in
> Part_POne_HARMONIES_Staff_Voice_Eleven_HARMONIES below are quater notes, and
> not whole notes as I expected.
>
> Any hint why is welcome!
>
> JM

TIFF image

> %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%
>
> \version "2.23.13"
>
> Part_POne_HARMONIES_Staff_Voice_Eleven_HARMONIES = \chordmode {
>   \language "nederlands"
>   \key c \major
>   \numericTimeSignature \time 4/4
>
>   \clef "treble"
>   c:m f:m7 g:maj7 cis4:aug/gis   %%%%% <----- HERE
> }

You don't specify a duration for those.  Try c1:m for the first chord, the next
chords will have the same duration until the C# chord change since that is
specified as a quarter beat.  But all the chords subsequent to that will be
quarters until younspecify something different.

My practice is to specify the duration of each note and chord. This decreases
the likelihood of having to chase down problems.