Re: warning: no glyph for character ... in font ...

From: Federico Bruni
Subject: Re: warning: no glyph for character ... in font ...
Date: Thu, 27 Oct 2022 21:58:52 +0200

Il giorno gio 27 ott 2022 alle 15:28:15 +0200, Jean Abou Samra <jean@abou-samra.fr> ha scritto:
Well, it means what it says -- the font C059 (New
Century SchoolBook), which is LilyPond's default text
font, does not have this glyph. If I compile

\version "2.23.80"

\markup \char ##x279B

\header {
  tagline = ##f
}

and run 'pdffonts' on the resulting PDF file, I get

name type encoding emb sub uni object ID ------------------------------------ ----------------- ---------------- --- --- --- --------- ZEHBZK+FreeSerif TrueType WinAnsi yes yes yes 7 0

Since C059 does not have a glyph for this character, Fontconfig
automatically substitutes some font from the system that does have
this character, according to LilyPond's font configuration file
and the system-wide configuration file.

If you run LilyPond in an isolated environment, it needs to contain
some font with this character, visible by Fontconfig.

I used your minimal example to test it and I found out that I was missing the font everywhere, not just in the container. I guess the character was not printed at all.. but I didn't check the PDF file.

I've now installed in my home a FreeSerif font and everything works fine.

Thanks
Federico