Re: Guidance on the repeated slur in \volta 2

From: Volodymyr Prokopyuk
Subject: Re: Guidance on the repeated slur in \volta 2
Date: Thu, 27 Oct 2022 23:06:21 +0200

Hello,

When working with the manually shaped slurs using the \tweak control-points approach, I've got the right output, but with the following programming error: bounds of this piece aren't breakable that always happens when the shaped slur is attached to the last note in a measure.

Minimal failing example

\version "2.23.14"

\relative {
  \repeat volta 2 {
    g'1( |
    \alternative {
      \volta 1 { g2 g) | }
      \volta 2 {
        g2 g
        \tweak control-points
          #'((-5.5 . -3.0) (-3.5 . -3.0) (-1.5 . -3.0) (-0.3 . -2.0)) ( <>)
        \bar "|."

image.png
The output is rendered, but with the below programming error

GNU LilyPond 2.23.14 (running Guile 2.2)
Processing `shaped-slur.ly'
Parsing...
Interpreting music...
Preprocessing graphical objects...
Finding the ideal number of pages..
Fitting music on 1 page...
Drawing systems...
shaped-slur.ly:10:9: programming error: bounds of this piece aren't breakable.

        \tweak control-points

shaped-slur.ly:10:9: continuing, cross fingers
Converting to `shaped-slur.pdf'...
Success: compilation successfully completed

Minimal working example

However, if there is a rest after the note with the attached shaped slur, there is no programming error

\version "2.23.14"

\relative {
  \repeat volta 2 {
    g'1( |
    \alternative {
      \volta 1 { g2 g) | }
      \volta 2 {
        g2 g4
        \tweak control-points
        \bar "|."

image.png
What is the reason for the programming error in the failing example? Is there a way to get the output from the failing example, but without the programming error?

Thank you,
Vlad