Re: Omitting the destination on a call to format is deprecated. Pass #f

From: Valentin Petzel
Subject: Re: Omitting the destination on a call to format is deprecated. Pass #f as the destination, before the format string.
Date: Sat, 29 Oct 2022 00:42:11 +0200

Hello Federico,

Lilypond with Guile 1.8 used a less capable version of the format command that
did not feature a destination argument (the default simple-format of Guile).
With Guile 2  Lilypond uses the full, powerful ice9 format (as can be seen
using #(display format)).

ice9 format takes a destination argument as first argument. This one can be any
output port, #t for the current output port (i.e. you print the result) or #f
to return the result.

If we omit this destination argument format will handle it as #f but pass this
warning.

Now these messages you get should either come from
A) The score itself using format
B) The score using a function that uses format

I’ve grepped through the current git master sources and all occurances of
format do specify a port. This means that most likely you are using some
custom scheme functions or libraries that use format. To fix these warnings
replace all occurrances of (format string ...) by (format #f string ...) in
such files.

Cheers,
Valentin