Curious behaviour of q and a tweak

From: Paul Hodges
Subject: Curious behaviour of q and a tweak
Date: Mon, 31 Oct 2022 15:08:13 +0000

I wanted to lengthen the stem of a pair of tied chords, but it didn't work as expected.  After some playing around, I found that I cannot tweak the properties of a chord represented by q (repeating the previous chord), but that the tweaks on the original chord get carried over.  This example shows the possibilities:

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%
\version "2.23.80"

{
  \clef bass
  \voiceTwo
  <a,^~ a,,_~>2
  \tweak Stem.length #15
  q8 r4. |
  \tweak Stem.length #15
  q8 r4. |
  \tweak Stem.length #15
  <a, a,,>8 r4. |
}

This may be logical in the code, but it surprised me in practical use.

Paul