Bar line at beginning of piece

From: Lukas-Fabian Moser
Subject: Bar line at beginning of piece
Date: Sun, 20 Nov 2022 14:51:07 +0100

Hi,

is there an "idiomatic" way of forcing LilyPond to print a bar line "|" at the beginning of the piece other than doing the hack of adding

\grace s1 \bar "|"

before the music?

My problem is that I need to do this programmatically with a large number of short scores. If any of those starts with a time signature, e.g. \time 3/4, then the result will be the usual issue #34 problem of

C | 3/4

Now, obviously I could write a function that extracts an initial time signature from a music variable and moves it in front of the \grace s1 bit, which amounts to more hacking in order to gloss over the problems of the initial hack :-).

Hence my question: Is there a mechanism for allowing a barline at the beginning of the piece not involving grace notes? (If not, I _think_ that the behaviour of not printing any bar lines at the beginning should be made an overridable default, so I'd add this to my already over-long list of "things I'd like to add to core LilyPond as soon as I have time".)

Lukas