Re: Manually Inserting Beams to Melody notes causes beamed notes to grou

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Manually Inserting Beams to Melody notes causes beamed notes to group under one word
Date: Tue, 06 Dec 2022 01:30:32 +0100

Miguel Abrams <miguelabrams46@gmail.com> writes:

> I have researched this problem to no avail and would appreciate a help out.
>
> When AutobeamOn is selected in the melody clef code, the words line up with
> the beamed notes, as they should.
>
> However, when I choose AutobeamOff the notes group correctly, but are only
> assigned to one of the words (in the beamed group of words).
>
> The same problem occurs when I manually insert slurs.

That is as intended.  \autoBeamOff suggests to LilyPond that beams will
correspond to syllables.

The chapter "multiple notes to one syllable" states:

   It is possible to have ties, slurs and manual beams in the melody
without their indicating melismata.  To do this, set
‘melismaBusyProperties’:

     <<
       \new Voice = "melody" \relative {
         \time 3/4
         \set melismaBusyProperties = #'()
         c'4 d ( e )
         g8 [ f ] f4 ~ 4
       }
       \new Lyrics \lyricsto "melody" {
         Ky -- ri -- e e -- le -- i -- son
       }

[image src="lilypond/73/lily-c3ba647f.png" alt="[image of music]"]

   Other settings for ‘melismaBusyProperties’ can be used to selectively
include or exclude ties, slurs, and beams from the automatic detection
of melismata; see ‘melismaBusyProperties’ in *note
(lilypond-internals)Tunable context properties::.

   Alternatively, if all melismata indications are to be ignored,
‘ignoreMelismata’ may be set true; see *note Stanzas with different
rhythms::.

   If a melisma is required during a passage in which
‘melismaBusyProperties’ is active, it may be indicated by placing a
single underscore in the lyrics for each note which should be included
in the melisma:

     <<
       \new Voice = "melody" \relative {
         \time 3/4
         \set melismaBusyProperties = #'()
         c'4 d ( e )
         g8 [ f ] ~ 4 ~ f
       }
       \new Lyrics \lyricsto "melody" {
       }

[image src="lilypond/23/lily-0ea207fa.png" alt="[image of music]"]

--
David Kastrup