Re: Need volta repeat brackets for a Trumpet+Piano "great big staff?"

From: Abraham Lee
Subject: Re: Need volta repeat brackets for a Trumpet+Piano "great big staff?"
Date: Wed, 21 Dec 2022 23:50:50 -0700

Hey, Ken!

On Wed, Dec 21, 2022 at 11:11 PM Kenneth Wolcott <kennethwolcott@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi;

  I need volta repeat brackets for a Trumpet+Piano "great big staff?".

  I see the section in the Notation Reference and a section in the
Snippet Reference regarding volte multi-staff, but I'm confused when I
already have a PianoStaff and I have a Trumpet above it.  Do I use a
GreatStaff surrounding a PianoStaff?

I have attached the origin pdf, my Lilypond source and my engraving.

Both pdf files have the same name, sorry about that.  The larger one
is the origin and the smaller one is my engraving.

Admittedly, I'm not 100% certain I understand what question you're asking since it appears you're asking two different ones:

1. Do you need volta brackets above the trumpet staff and also above the top piano staff? Definitely not. This would be less common in only a three-staff score. If there were more, where the bracket is less visible, then... maybe, but even with four staves in a single system, I'm not sure I'd do more than have the volta bracket above the top-most one.

2. Do you need to wrap all the staves in another GrandStaff (or similar)? Again, no. Your source file is structured fine the way it is. I think the only thing you didn't *need* to do is explicitly say \new Voice within each of the PianoStaff's Staff. You could just say:

\new PianoStaff \with { ... } <<
  \new Staff <<
    { \voiceOne \rh_one }
    { \voiceTwo \rh_two }

  \new Staff <<
    { \lh }  % I wouldn't explicitly use \voiceOne here at all since you don't need the forced directionality it will cause

If those weren't what you're asking, then I apologize for not catching the actual question(s).

HTH,
Abraham