Re: \repeat volta 2 + two blocks in \alternative = More alternatives tha

From: William Rehwinkel
Subject: Re: \repeat volta 2 + two blocks in \alternative = More alternatives than repeats?
Date: Sat, 24 Dec 2022 03:25:38 +0000

Hey Kevin,

I identified that this was due to the measure mark "|" you inserted on line 31

\alternative {
    { c4.( c8) e16[ f16] }
    { c4.( c4.) } |
  }

Since this was outside of the second block, it was interpreted as a third block, thus lilypond had three alternative blocks.

You may also want to double-check the first alternative block, it is a partial measure, but the repeated section starts on the downbeat instead of starting on the pickup to measure one.

Thanks,
-Will

On 12/23/22 22:11, Kevin Cole wrote:
I have a section for chords and a section for melody. Each has
"\repeat volta 2" and two blocks in an "\alternative". I've reduced to
what I think is a pretty minimum MWE, and still get:

|    $ lilypond mwe.ly
|    GNU LilyPond 2.22.1
|    Processing `mwe.ly'
|    Parsing...
|    warning: More alternatives than repeats.  Junking excess alternatives
|    Interpreting music...
|    Preprocessing graphical objects...
|    Interpreting music...
|    MIDI output to `mwe.midi'...
|    Finding the ideal number of pages...
|    Fitting music on 1 page...
|    Drawing systems...
|    Converting to `mwe.pdf'...
|    Success: compilation successfully completed

See attached:

--
|    William Rehwinkel - Oberlin College and     |