skipping whole bars in lyrics

From: mark damerell
Subject: skipping whole bars in lyrics
Date: Thu, 29 Dec 2022 12:53:22 +0000

This problem has appeared on this forum:

https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/lilypond-user/2004-11/msg00295.html

but some years ago, so I thought it better to start a new thread.

I am trying to set the carol "O holy night " by A. Adam ( arr P. Le Bas )
verse 1 goes like this:

a): sopranos only
b): altos join in, same words
c): they sing different words.

Verses 2 & 3 similar.

What I think should happen is in  a)  and  b)   \lyricsto  \sopmusic  below the staff
and then at  c)  the sop. lyrics go above the staff and the alto words start up below;
but  only on the remaining alto music not on all the alto music .

So what I want is the equivalent of  \lyricmode{ \rest 30 bars   (lyrics)   }

The best I could find in the thread above was

\lyricmode { \repeat unfold  #n {\skip 1}  (lyrics) }

which is messy because  n  is the number of notes, not bars.  There are far more
notes and you have to adjust for ties & slurs & etc. and the bars are numbered.

Please any advice? thank you