Tricky repeat structure for "32-bar form" AABA

From: Joel C. Salomon
Subject: Tricky repeat structure for "32-bar form" AABA
Date: Wed, 11 Jan 2023 22:47:18 -0500

If I understand correctly, a volta repeat within a D.C. repeat is only supposed to play the first time.  I’ve worked out how to accomplish this in the presence of `\unfoldRepeats` (as useful for MIDI creation) in the context of a “thirty-two-bar form”, or AABA-form, song.  Might be useful to others.

Comments (even of the “no, don’t do that, and here’s why” sort) are welcome.

Fun thing is, replacing the hard-coded `\after 1*8` with `\after \duration \A` (using Lukas’s `\duration` from <https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/lilypond-user/2022-11/msg00092.html>) also works, so one could possibly turn this into a function that takes two music arguments.

—Joel

\version "2.24.0"

A = {
  \repeat unfold 8 { a'4 a' a' a' | }