Re: defineBarLine confusion

From: David Zelinsky
Subject: Re: defineBarLine confusion
Date: Sat, 14 Jan 2023 01:14:02 -0500

Flaming Hakama by Elaine <elaine@flaminghakama.com> writes:

> Here is something I wrote up for a blog post during the 2.18 days.
>
> I am not sure if it applies to your case, but it sounds like you probably
> are not yet familiar with how barlines are defined.  Which is not
> surprising, since they are not well documented.  Which is why I created
> these notes in the first place, to help myself understand how they work.

Thanks.  The documentation would definitely benefit from a description
as detailed as you gave.  It took me a while but I did eventually figure
out how this all is supposed to work.

> Looking at your example, I think the first place you are going off is that
> you do not define the barlines using ##t, ##f, you instead put the
> characters that correspond to what you want to appear in those places.

On the contrary, the documentation clearly states that these are valid
values for the end, beginning, and span arguments.

> The second issue is that you seem to be modifying the last argument, which
> is the barlines to appear between staves.  But your example has only one
> staff, so your MWE is not exercising that feature.

That's exactly the point.  Since there is only one staff, the last
argument should have no effect.  And yet it does.  And the effect is to
truncate the mid-bar specification and only use its first character.  In
fact, I have identified where in the code this is happening, and it is
clearly a bug.  I have submitted a bug report, and I'm working on
submitting a patch.

-David