Re: irrational meters

From: Valentin Petzel
Subject: Re: irrational meters
Date: Thu, 19 Jan 2023 13:25:47 +0100

Hello Silvain,

this is only true if you define a "rational meter" to be a meter which
evaluates to a rational number. Note that a Time Signature is NOT a rational
number, else 3/4 and 6/8 would be equivalent.

And similarly to how a rational argument is not an argument that corresponds
to a rational number a rational Time Signature can have a different meaning to
a rational Number.

Of course this does leave the question open of what exactly *is* a rational
Time Signature. And would it even make sense to use a Time Signature that is
not rational?

Valentin