Re: Documentation viewer in Frescobaldi

From: David Wright
Subject: Re: Documentation viewer in Frescobaldi
Date: Thu, 19 Jan 2023 22:05:45 -0600

On Fri 20 Jan 2023 at 14:09:05 (+1100), Andrew Bernard wrote:
> Frescobaldi 3.2 on Linux (EndeavorOS, and Ubuntu), no matter what URL
> or local file I put in the Lilypond Documentation preferences it does
> not work. If I use a URL at lily[pond.org I get an Apache error. If
> trying to add a local copy the index.html file simply does not appear
> in the browser dialog when I go to the appropriate directory. I am
> mystified. Any clues?

I don't use F~ so I don't know what the Preferences or Configuration
Dialogue would expect to be fed with.

However, I do see¹ /usr/share/frescobaldi/frescobaldi_app/lilydoc/manager.py
contains these lines:

    # split in local and non-local ones (local are preferred)
    user_prefixes = []
    local = []
    remote = []
    for p in user_paths:
        user_prefixes.append(p) if os.path.isdir(p) else remote.append(p)
    remote.sort(key=util.naturalsort)

    # now find all instances of LilyPond documentation in the local paths
    def paths(path):
        """Yields possible places where LilyPond documentation could live."""
        yield path
        path = os.path.join(path, 'share', 'doc', 'lilypond', 'html')
        yield path
        yield os.path.join(path, 'offline-root')

    def find(path):
        """Finds LilyPond documentation."""
        for p in paths(path):
            if os.path.isdir(os.path.join(p, 'Documentation')):
                return p

> When I install Frescobaldi it does show doc for 2.22 online but
> nowhere do I see this URL in the preferences, so how does it even get
> there? Hardwired? Does not seem right.

and later:

    urls = []
    urls.extend(map(QUrl.fromLocalFile, local))
    urls.extend(map(QUrl, remote))
    if not urls:
        urls.append(QUrl("http://lilypond.org/doc/stable";))
    return urls

so it appears to have a fairly thorough hunt for the docs.
(I assume urls.extend is reading some Configuration data.)

¹ F~ 3.1.3 from Debian buster. I don't remember whether I ever ran it;
  perhaps I replicated someone's post. I haven't downloaded F~ on bullseye.

Cheers,
David.