Re: Understanding marks in 2.24

From: Saul Tobin
Subject: Re: Understanding marks in 2.24
Date: Tue, 31 Jan 2023 17:30:01 -0800

On Tue, Jan 31, 2023 at 1:32 PM Jean Abou Samra <jean@abou-samra.fr> wrote:
On 31/01/2023 22:07, Saul Tobin wrote:
> I have a few questions:
> 1. How to achieve horizontal alignment and avoid vertical overlap of RehearsalMarks and MetronomeMarks at the beginning of a system, or when musical objects push them away from the staff as in measure 3? I have to say I think the default output could be improved.

It's been requested a few times, but there is no easy way to do this
at the moment (although you can find some hacks in the list archives).

The hack that I used in the past was to set extra-spacing-width to something like #'(0 . 0) for both types of marks, but it seems like when systems are vertically compressed, this can interfere with the spacing of the music. Is there a way to prevent that from happening? (Or a better grob property to use to get the marks to line up?)

Attached is an example in which the minimal output looks correct, but essentially the same code in the context of my full score screws up the spacing. I can achieve similar bad output in the minimal example by leaving Staff_collecting_engraver in Score instead of moving it to MarkLine (which I don't entirely understand).

Bizarrely, the only thing I've tried that produces correct output everywhere I've checked isĀ \override MetronomeMark.extra-spacing-width = #'(0 . +inf.0), which is nonsensical and emits tons of warnings.