lyrics on rhythmicstaff?

From: Nate
Subject: lyrics on rhythmicstaff?
Date: Tue, 7 Mar 2023 11:55:21 -0500

I'm trying to set 'lyrics' (chords which do not match lilypond's interpretation of the notes) to notes on a RhythmicStaff, but I'm not seeing the lyrics.
I thought maybe it was the rhythmicstaff that didn't like lyrics, but perhaps they need to be in a score? This is inside a snippet set inside a latex fbox.
The notes print as expected, and the example seems to follow the docs except for the score. Do lyrics need to be inside a score? Did I miss something else?

   \lilypond[noindent, nofragment]{
      \new RhythmicStaff \with { \remove "Staff_symbol_engraver" \remove "Clef_engraver" \remove "Time_signature_engraver"} {
            \new Voice = "melody" { \relative { c8 c4. c8 c8 } }
      }
      \new Lyrics  { \lyricsto "melody" { 1 3 3 3  }  }
   }

image.png