Re: Tempo vs. markup

From: Valentin Petzel
Subject: Re: Tempo vs. markup
Date: Sun, 12 Mar 2023 13:35:47 +0100

Hello Ralph,

while Pierre’s solution works with some adaptation I think your approach is
wrong.

Tempo is something that is created at the Score level, while TextScripts are
created at the Staff level. This means that it should be expected for
TextScripts to be closer to the Staff. Rather use the correct devices for what
you want:

Trio

is not a staff text, but in fact a label for a part or section. So rather use a
SectionLabel (which also lives at the Score level), and style it to look the
way you like it to look.

Half as fast

is in fact a Tempo mark, so include it into your tempo mark. A tempo mark can
use multiple lines by using \column.

Using this your code might look like this

\version "2.24.0"

\layout {
  % Have the label start after the time signature like Metronome Mark
  % (else it would be at start of system)
  \override Score.SectionLabel.break-align-symbols = #'(time-signature)
  % Make section label normal size and bold
  \override Score.SectionLabel.font-size = #0
  \override Score.SectionLabel.font-series = #'bold
}

\relative c' {
  \time 3/4
  \sectionLabel "Trio"
  \tempo \markup \column {
    "Half as fast"
    \vspace #0.1 % add some spacing
    % prevent = from being bold, which looks weird with stem thickness
    \normal-text
    \concat {
      (
      \smaller \general-align #Y #DOWN \note {2} #0.8
      " = "
      \smaller \general-align #Y #DOWN \note {4} #0.8
      )
  d4^\markup\italic{arco} d d
}

which I’d argue is cleaner in both code and implementation.

Cheers,
Valentin