Re: \rightHandFinger in banjo tablature

From: Michael Werner
Subject: Re: \rightHandFinger in banjo tablature
Date: Tue, 21 Mar 2023 16:12:12 -0400

Hi Thomas -

On Tue, Mar 21, 2023 at 3:28 PM Thomas Widmann <twid@bibulus.org> wrote:
Hello,

I'm trying to produce banjo tablatures similar to the ones seen here: <https://eligilbertbanjo.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/01/30-Days-of-Banjo.pdf>

In general it's working well, but I seem unable to get the right hand fingerings to show in the tablature. A simple example:

fT = \rightHandFinger #1
fI = \rightHandFinger #2
fM= \rightHandFinger #3

music = {
 \set strokeFingerOrientations = #'(down)
  g8\fT
  b \fI
  g'\5\fT
  d' \fM
  g \fT
  b \fI
  g'\5 \fT
  d' \fM
}

 \new TabStaff \with { \tabFullNotation
    tablatureFormat = #fret-number-tablature-format-banjo
    stringTunings = #banjo-open-g-tuning
 }{ \music }

If I add a normal Staff, the right hand fingerings will show up there, but I only want the tablature.

Turns out that the right hand fingerings are produced by an engraver that isn't normally a part of the TabStaff context. But it's easily enough added in, like this:

\new TabStaff \with {
  \tabFullNotation
  \consists New_fingering_engraver
  tablatureFormat = #fret-number-tablature-format-banjo
  stringTunings = #banjo-open-g-tuning
}

The \consists command is what's used to add an engraver to a context. Conversly, the \remove command will remove an engraver and all of what that engraver produces.

Furthermore, I'd prefer the fingers to be called T, I and M rather than p, i and m. How would I do that?

One more line added into the \with block takes care of that, resulting in:

\new TabStaff \with {
  \tabFullNotation
  \consists New_fingering_engraver
  tablatureFormat = #fret-number-tablature-format-banjo
  stringTunings = #banjo-open-g-tuning
  \override StrokeFinger.digit-names = ##("T" "I" "M" "a" "x")
  strokeFingerOrientations = #'(down)
}

The first three right-hand fingerings are changed to what you listed, while the other two are the defaults. Also the strokeFingerOrientations seemed to need moved into the \with block to take effect.

michael