Re: how to install in Linux

From: Jean Abou Samra
Subject: Re: how to install in Linux
Date: Sun, 26 Mar 2023 01:54:42 +0100

Le vendredi 24 mars 2023 à 22:41 +0100, Dario Marrini a écrit :

Hi lilypond people,I'm using a LinuxMint 21.1 Linux OS distribution, it provides 2.22 Lilypond version, but in website I see there is 2.24 as last stable version; I've downloaded it, no installer is provided, how could I integrate the software in my system? is there a script or something else that could automate the process, or must I link every executable in /usr/bin or elsewhere, in any location 'touched' by my $PATH ?

While William gave a correct answer about adding the ~/lilypond-2.24.1/bin directory to your $PATH, I want to point out that you probably don't need to do this at all, unless you are using LilyPond from a terminal frequently and can't afford the inconvenience to type ~/lilypond-2.24.1/bin/ every time you call it. This is not the common case — rather, the common case is to use some editor like Frescobaldi or Emacs, and have it run LilyPond for you. In that case, telling the tool about where you put LilyPond is simpler, messes less with global state that is traditionally reserved to the package manager, and plays more nicely with installing several versions of LilyPond in parallel.