Re: RepeatSlash size is changed when StaffSymbol.staff-space is override

From: Jean Abou Samra
Subject: Re: RepeatSlash size is changed when StaffSymbol.staff-space is overriden in 2.24
Date: Mon, 14 Aug 2023 18:40:22 +0200

Le lundi 14 août 2023 à 17:22 +0100, Viktor Mastoridis a écrit :
> Hello again,
>
> I need more space between the 5 lines (for primary school age).
> In 2.22 I used
> \override StaffSymbol.staff-space = #1.5 (with additional commands for stem
> length etc).
>
> Now in 2.24, the same command enlarges the Repeat slashes and I simply can't
> find a way to shrink them a bit.
> See attached screenshots for the difference.
>
> Help will be greatly appreciated.

That change was in fact a bug fix. Percent repeats didn't correctly
scale with the staff size, but now they do.

You can always resize the symbols manually with

\version "2.24.2"

shrink =
\propertyTweak stencil
  #(grob-transformer 'stencil (lambda (grob orig) (ly:stencil-scale orig 0.7
0.7)))
  \etc

\layout {
  \context {
    \Staff
    \override StaffSymbol.staff-space = #1.5
    \shrink DoubleRepeatSlash
    \shrink RepeatSlash

\score {
  \relative c' {
    \repeat percent 2 {c8 d16 e }
    \repeat percent 2 {c8 d }
    \repeat percent 2 {c2 d4 e }

May I ask why you want them that way, though?

Generally speaking, why don't you just use #(set-global-staff-size xxx) ?
It will also properly scale the clefs, time signatures, etc. For me,
a score with a "C" time signature that doesn't occupy the full extent
between the second and the fourth staff lines looks quite weird.