Re: Fermata Markup below Staff

From: Michael Werner
Subject: Re: Fermata Markup below Staff
Date: Sun, 12 Nov 2023 12:07:42 -0500

Hi Johannes,

On Sun, Nov 12, 2023 at 11:44 AM Johannes Roeßler <joei@joei.de> wrote:
Hi Michael,

doesn't work well with a choirstaff though..

No, it doesn't, does it.  I missed the part in your original post where you mentioned the choir staff bit. With a GrandStaff the span bar counts as a single bar line, which you won't have in a ChoirStaff. So what we want (maybe?) is something that'll put the fermata above the bar line in the upper staff, and below the bar line in the lower staff. Am I understanding correctly that's what you're after? If so, try:

upFermata = {
  \once \set Staff.caesuraType = #'((underlying-bar-line . "||"))
  \once \set Staff.caesuraTypeTransform = ##f
  \caesura ^\fermata
}

downFermata = {
  \once \set Staff.caesuraType = #'((underlying-bar-line . "||"))
  \once \set Staff.caesuraTypeTransform = ##f
  \caesura _\fermata
}

musicA = {
  f'1 \upFermata
  R1
  f'2 \upFermata f'2
  R1
  b'1 \upFermata \fine
}

musicB = {
  f'1 \downFermata
  R1
  f'2 \downFermata f'2
  R1
  b'1 \downFermata \fine
}

\new ChoirStaff <<
  \new Staff \musicA
  \new Staff \musicB

Maybe that'll get a little closer to what you're after.
--
Michael