Re: Spacing between staves

From: Michael Werner
Subject: Re: Spacing between staves
Date: Thu, 25 Apr 2024 10:50:37 -0400

Hi Peter,

On Thursday, 25 April 2024 09:44:56 EDT Peter Mayes wrote:

> What I want is for the second movement, on the second page, to have

> slightly increased vertical spacing between staves. (It has 32nd and

> even a few 64th notes, and just looks a little "bunched up" to my eyes.)

> I can only see ways to set the vertical spacing globally in the \paper

> block.

You can indeed accomplish this, with a little bit of rearranging. \paper blocks can go a few different places, one of which is a \bookpart  And as \bookparts are by default separated by a page break, and you are (apparently) wanting a page break between the two movements, this is a bit of two birds, one stone thing here.

Basically, put each movement into it's own \bookpart. You can then give each movement it's own paper block, while still having a global paper block if you want one. The bookparts will also take care of the page break for you, so that can be removed. You'll end up with a structure something like:

\version "2.24.1"

\paper { global \paper settings }

FirstMovement = { ... }

\bookpart {

  \paper { \paper setting specific to the 1st movement }

  \score {

    \new Staff { \FirstMovement }

    \layout {}

SecondMovement = { ... }

\bookpart {

  \paper { \paper setting specific to the 2nd movement }

  \score {

    \new Staff { \SecondMovement }

    \layout {}

\bookpart sections can have their own \paper block, even their own \header blocks. For a bit more see:

https://lilypond.org/doc/v2.24/Documentation/notation/multiple-scores-in-a-book

--

Michael