linphone-developers

Re: [Linphone-developers] linphone-desktop package and OpenH264 codec

From: Julien Wadel
Subject: Re: [Linphone-developers] linphone-desktop package and OpenH264 codec
Date: Thu, 28 Jan 2021 11:11:14 +0100

Hi Bernhard,

Unfortunately, we don't have the workload to update, maintain  and support the msxh264 plugin. It is way too old and it requires more dependencies that need to be checked and maintained too (like deeper FFMPEG). As pointed out by Greg (thanks for your answers), downloading Cisco binaries from their server is covered by their licence.

But in order to allow the use of the Cisco plugin, the application need the msopenH264 plugin. That means that you have to get OpenH264 sources to build it even if sources aren't deployed in binaries.
As you wrote, this is not a solution for a build on Debian.

So what we can propose is that we build ourself a msopenH264 plugin and put it in our releases URL. Then we change the behavior of the application to get this plugin aswell when requesting for the Cisco binary. For the unsecure download, there are no really strong verifications on it yet but we can add some like suggested in https://github.com/cisco/openh264/issues/909

Regards

antivirus Avast.